This salad is one of my favorites! Giving your kale a good rub down with sea salt draws out the bitterness of the kale and also softens it so it almost looks sauteed. This is a recipe that even non-kale fans will love!
Apple Raisin Massaged Kale Salad
Yields 4-6 servings
- 2 bunches curly or lacinato (dinosaur) kale (de-stemmed, torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 cup raisins
- 1 apple (diced)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Remove the kale leaves off the stem, tear into bite-sized pieces, stack and chop into thin ribbon-like strips. Wash and spin dry the kale in a salad spinner (or you can wash and pat dry the kale first before cutting it up).
- Put washed, chopped kale into a big bowl.
- Add salt and massage into kale for 2 minutes. The kale will shrink.
- Drizzle the oil and apple cider vinegar and toss so that all the kale is covered.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Add more salt, oil and/or apple cider vinegar as needed.
This will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.