This 2-ingredient recipe is from my popcorn-lovin' boyfriend!
Up until a few months ago, he was eating microwave popcorn that was filled with "artificial flavors" and "natural flavors" and who knows what else.
After having done my cleanse a couple of times and experiencing for himself how much better he feels when he eats higher quality foods, he has been upgrading his diet so that it's as close to real food as possible...even when it comes to snacks like this.
I'm so proud of him!
Popcorn is his most recent upgrade so I wanted to share with you how he makes it!
How to Make Healthier Popcorn
Yields: 2 servings
- 1/3 cup organic, non-GMO popcorn kernels
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil (he used refined coconut oil so it wouldn't taste like coconut)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Optional spices: Black pepper, chili power, paprika, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast (for a "cheesy" flavor)
- You'll need a pot (or a wok if you have one!) that has a lid (see above to get an idea of size)
- Put the pot on the stove and turn the high on high
- Add enough coconut oil to coat the bottom of the pot then add the popcorn kernels and stir them together (if the oil is solid when you add it to the pot, wait until it melts before adding the kernels)
- Put the lid on...you will start to hear the popping! My boyfriend shakes the wok throughout...I don't know if this facilitates the process but he looks like he's having a good time doing it!
- You'll know it's done when you don't hear anymore popping
- Transfer popcorn into a bowl. He puts his in a big blue bucket that says "Popcorn" on it :)
- Add whatever seasonings you want! He keeps it simple with some salt. If you like a little heat, add chili powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
Or in his words:
"It's quite an easy recipe... Heat on high, shake shake shake...take off when the poppin' stops!"