This is one of my favorite soups and a Mama Chan-Norris specialty! Whenever I make the trip back to NY to visit family in the winter, this soup is waiting for me as my Welcome Home post-flight meal. It's delicious, comforting, and surely to warm you up in the cold winter months.
Mom's Curry Cauliflower Soup
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 small onions (chopped)
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 6-8 medium carrots or 3-4 large carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 head cauliflower (chopped)
- 6 cups water
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and dash of sea salt. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add ginger, garlic and spices. Sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add carrots, cauliflower and water.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Pureé using a hand blender until smooth. If you don't have a hand blender, pour mixture into a regular blender in batches, pureé and then return mixture to the pot.
- Serve immediately and top with cilantro for garnish.
If you're a soup fan, a hand blender will make your time in the kitchen much easier and more enjoyable! Below is the one I use...it's awesome: