Well, I think I've just created my new favorite salad to date! Not surprisingly, it features KALE, my favorite leafy green super food.
This salad is very simple and doesn't contain any fancy ingredients, and yet it is still bursting with flavor and nutrients. The heart-healthy monounsaturated fats in the olive oil and walnuts not only have tremendous health benefits, but they will keep you satiated until your next meal. The apple provides the perfect amount of sweetness and crunch and complements the flavor of the lemon nicely. The addition of the basil gives this salad an unexpected flavor boost. If you don't have any kale on hand, you can try this salad with arugula or spinach.
Apple Walnut Kale Salad
Yields: 2 servings for side dishes (or 1 entree-sized serving)
- 2 huge handfuls Lacinato Kale (aka "Dinosaur" Kale...it has flat leaves) (de-stemmed)
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp fresh Lemon juice (approximately 1 lemon)
- 2 tbsp fresh Basil (minced)
- 1 small or medium Granny Smith Apple (chopped)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (crushed)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Remove the stems from the kale and discard. (You can remove the stems with a knife or just use your fingers.)
- Stack the kale leaves and roll them up tightly. Slice the rolled kale width-wise so they look like ribbons when cut.
- Combine kale, olive oil, and a few shakes of sea salt into a medium bowl.
- Massage mixture with your hands for 1-2 minutes until the kale shrinks and takes on a "cooked" appearance.
- Add lemon juice, basil, apple and walnuts. Toss well.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge to enjoy the next day.