The other day, I found this fabulous post that went into great detail about how to make quick and healthy fruit and herb infused water. The pictures and ease of recipes sold me so of course I had to try making some flavored water for myself. I made one with 1 lemon and 1 lime. It was tart, but refreshing and tasty!
It was super easy to make. Sliced up the lemon and lime, threw them in the jar, pressed down on them a few times with the back of a wooden spoon to release the flavor, filled the jar with ice to the top, then filled the jar with water. Chilled in the fridge for at least an hour and that's it!
Next time I want to try it with an orange. I think that would taste incredible.
Below are some photos I took to illustrate each step and just how easy it is to make:
Below are the fruit and herb suggestions from the original post, as well as the directions and fun flavor combinations. Enjoy!
- 1-quart mason jar with lid
- Muddler or wooden spoon
Use this general formula for whatever fruit/herb combo you desire.
- If using herbs, add a sprig of fresh herbs to jar/pitcher; press and twist with muddler or handle of wooden spoon to bruise leaves and release flavor; don't pulverize the herbs into bits.
- Add approx. 2 cups of fruit to jar/pitcher; press and twist with muddler or handle of wooden spoon, just enough to release some of the juices
- Fill jar/pitcher with ice cubes.
- Add water to top of jar/pitcher.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
SUGGESTED FLAVOR COMBINATIONS
- ALL CITRUS (no herbs) -- Slice 1 orange, 1 lime, 1 lemon into rounds, then cut the rounds in half. Add to jar and proceed with muddling, add ice & water.
- RASPBERRY LIME (no herbs) -- Quarter 2 limes; with your hands, squeeze the juice into the jar, then throw in the squeezed lime quarters. Add 2 cups raspberries. Muddle, add ice & water.
- PINEAPPLE MINT -- Add a sprig of mint to the jar (you can throw in the whole sprig; or, remove the leaves from the sprig, if you prefer to have the mint swimming around and distributing in the jar). Muddle the mint. Add 2 cups pineapple pieces, muddle, add ice & water.
- BLACKBERRY SAGE -- Add sage sprig to jar and muddle. Add 2 cups blackberries; muddle, add ice & water.
- WATERMELON ROSEMARY -- Add rosemary sprig to jar & muddle. Add 2 cups watermelon cubes; muddle, add ice and water.
Click Here to view the original post