I love smoothies.
They're a convenient way to consume a boat load of nutrients without making the body work too hard to absorb and digest them. Plus, they taste great! Unfortunately, not all smoothies are created equal which is why I typically don't drink smoothies unless I've made them myself.
A lot of smoothies you can order from restaurants and cafes are ridiculously high in sugar, either from too much fruit, fruit juice, or the addition of sherbet or frozen yogurt.
If you want a smoothie that won't make you feel tired or bloated afterward, keep reading...
The smoothie recipe I'm going to share with you today is what I've been making for breakfast every morning for over a month now and I LOVE it for so many reasons:
- It holds me over for at least 4-5 hours
- It's low in sugar
- It's not too sweet, but also not super "green" tasting (despite its color)
- It contains tons of nutritious greens from the fresh leafy greens and greens powders
- It comes out to a whopping 36 ounces (and yes...I drink the whole thing myself!)
- I feel energized immediately afterward
This recipe contains more ingredients than most of my other recipes, but the benefits above are worth the extra minute it takes to prepare.
Mega Superfood Green Smoothie
Yields: 36 ounces (1 mega serving or 2 small servings)
- 2 cups water
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I only use Sun Warrior Protein...it's my favorite!)
- 1 scoop greens powder (I love Amazing Grass Orange Dreamsicle...doesn't taste green at all!)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp spirulina powder (optional)
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach or kale
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup or 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (peeled)
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Dash of cinnamon
- Combine the water, protein powder, greens powder, chia seeds, cacao, spirulina, and spinach/kale in a blender and blend until smooth
- Add banana, celery, ginger, ice, and cinnamon to blender and blend until smooth.
- If using a high speed blender like the Vitamix, feel free to add all the ingredients at once and blend together.