Quinoa for Breakfast?
That's right. This gem is what I've been eating frequently these last couple of weeks and it keeps me full for HOURS.
It all started with my discovery of Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes during a search at the health food store for a "fast food" dinner one rushed evening. My breakfast quinoa bowl is now one of my new go-to "fast & easy" snack/meal staples and provides me with the perfect opportunity to enjoy all of my favorite toppings in one bowl. See that gooey clump of deliciousness melting in the center? Ooh baby. That, my friend, is sunflower seed butter. Incredible.
Protein-Packed Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Yields: 1 serving
- 1 serving (1/3 dry) Quinoa Flakes (tastes best cooked on the stove, not microwaved)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp nut/seed butter of your choice (I prefer sunflower seed butter or almond butter)
- Cinnamon (to taste)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Stevia (to taste...3-5 drops is plenty)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and give it a good stir to mix it all up.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Instead of using water, cook quinoa flakes in coconut milk (full fat, unsweetened)
- Experiment with different toppings. Feel free to add ground flax seeds, berries, chopped apples, sliced, banana, cacao powder, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, or any of your other favorite nutritious toppings.
Quinoa, hemp seeds, and chia seeds all contain the following properties:
- Great source of complete protein (contains all 9 essential amino acids)
- High in antioxidants (anti-aging properties...wanna look younger?)
- Regulate blood sugar (so does cinnamon and stevia)
- High in fiber (keeps you regular! healthy bowels = a healthier YOU!)
- Easy to digest (less taxing on the body)
- Reduces inflammation in the body (lower inflammation = reduce your risk of disease)
- High in minerals (does a body good)
The nut/seed butter is a great source of healthy fats and protein, helping to keep you fuller, longer. Be sure to check the label of your nut/seed butter to make sure it does not contain any sugar. The only ingredients should be the nut/seed by itself or the nut/seed and sea salt.