If you don't want to spend a lot of time prepping your food in the mornings or if you're looking for an easy way to eat more vegetables, this recipe is for you! These veggie egg muffins are super awesome because you can pretty much use any veggies you have lying around your kitchen. Just chop them nice and small or shred them.
- A quick 'n' easy breakfast
- A pre- or post-workout snack
- A convenient snack to take with you while traveling
- A complete meal when paired with a large salad, soup, and/or side
Make a batch on Sunday and enjoy throughout the week. They last at least 3-5 days.
Veggie Egg Breakfast Muffins
Yields: 12 muffins
- Your favorite veggies (I used 4 cups uncooked veggies which turned into 2 1/2 cups cooked) - e.g. onions, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, etc. - Make sure they are chopped nice and small or shredded
- 7 eggs
- 1-2 tbsp cooking fat (coconut oil, olive oil, butter, or ghee - omit butter/ghee to make vegan), if using uncooked veggies
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
Use organic ingredients when possible
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- If using uncooked veggies, sauté in coconut oil, olive oil, butter, or ghee until tender. If using cooked veggies, no need to sauté
- While veggies are cooking, crack 7 eggs in a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk
- Transfer cooked veggies into bowl with the eggs
- Mix together and add salt & pepper (or any other spices you wish - e.g. basil, rosemary, oregano, Italian seasoning, chili powder, paprika, etc)
- Grease muffin tins to prevent sticking or line muffin tins with cupcake liners
- Pour mixture into muffin tins, leaving a tiny bit of space at the top (if you fill it up all the way, the muffins will overflow when cooked- I learned the hard way!)
- Cook for 25 minutes until fully cooked and edges of egg muffins start to brown
- Remove from oven and let cool for a couple minutes
- Enjoy immediately as is or add butter, ghee, or hot sauce. If enjoying later, store in an air-tight container. To reheat, microwave for 30-60 seconds.
Chop up those veggies nice and small then cook 'em up (not pictured)
Combine with eggs then pour into greased or non-stick muffin tins
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
Let cool for a couple minutes, enjoy immediately, or transfer to a container to enjoy later
Don't have a muffin tin or prefer bigger portions? Use a casserole dish or a baking pan!