This is probably one of the naughtiest recipes I've posted so far.
It starts with a craving, doesn't it? When a craving hits, I try to satisfy it with a healthier alternative. While bread and peanut butter don't have the same appeal to me now as they did several years ago, for some reason I couldn't get my mind off of them this past weekend! So I did something about it :)
This recipe is major comfort food. I would not recommend this as an every day snack or meal, but if the mood strikes for some old-fashioned, feel-like-a-kid-again "PB&J" action, this is a much healthier option.
Note: I couldn't help but notice how the hot buttery bread reminded me of a grilled cheese sandwich from my childhood. Mmmmm.
Healthier Grilled PB & J
Yields: 1 sandwich (enough for 1-2 people)
- 2 slices bread (preferably gluten-free or sprouted grain)
- 1 tbsp Almond Butter
- 1 tbsp Raspberry Jam
- Organic butter
- Sea salt (to taste, if the almond butter you use is unsalted)
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread
- Spread almond butter on the unbuttered side of one slice
- Spread jam on the unbuttered side of the other slice
- Place buttered side of one slice on a heated pan and place the other slice on top so almond butter and jam are touching
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Gently flatten with spatula.
- Remove from pan, let it cool slightly
- Cut in halves or quarters.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Instead of cooking on a pan, use a George Foreman Grill
- Instead of jam, use sliced banana for a warm, gooey, healthy "PB & Banana" alternative