The sweetness of the onions combined with the sourness of the apple cider vinegar makes this recipe one of my favorites. The spice from the red pepper flakes is magical. The perfect recipe for kale newbies.
Sauteed Kale with Caramelized Onions
Yields: 1-2 Servings
- 2 cups (tightly packed) Kale (de-stemmed, and thinly sliced into "ribbons" - aka "chiffonade")
- 1/2 Onion (sliced width-wise into "half moons")
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- Heat pan over medium heat and add coconut oil
- Wait until the oil heats up then add the onions
- Use a spatula or tongs (my personal favorite) to stir the onions in the oil until they're completely coated
- Add sea salt and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and continue cooking for another 5 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until the onions start to caramelize (they'll shrink and turn golden brown)
- Add kale to the pan and adjust the heat to medium-high
- Add the apple cider vinegar and cook until the kale has wilted. Stir occasionally (tongs work great for this).
- Transfer to a plate or bowl and sprinkle red pepper flakes on top (and more salt if needed)