This is my "go-to" sugar-free dessert when I'm craving something after dinner that will satisfy me without derailing my healthy eating efforts. When I was a kid, I had a Chia Head (remember those?) but it wasn't until decades later that I learned that the same chia seeds that grew massive amounts of "hair" on my Chia Head were also nutritional powerhouses!
Chia seeds are high in fiber and contain easily digestible protein, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. They're also super filling because when mixed with liquid, they absorb the moisture which makes them expand and gives them a gelatinous, pudding-like consistency.
Yields: 1 serving
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup Coconut or Almond Milk (unsweetened, plain)
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 drops Liquid Stevia
- Tiny dash Sea Salt
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stir, and cover
- Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes
- Remove from refrigerator and stir
- Put back in refrigerator for at least another 10-20 minutes (feel free to leave it in the fridge overnight if you want to eat it in the morning)
- Remove from refrigerator, stir, and enjoy!
- To make this a more filling snack or meal, add toppings after removing from the refrigerator. Topping ideas include coconut shreds (unsweetened), sliced banana, berries, or hemp seeds. Chia seeds have a pretty neutral flavor so they go with pretty much anything!
- To make this a chocolate-y treat, add 1/2 to 1 tsp cacao powder to the mixture (and stir) before putting it in the refrigerator.
- This is even healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast!