If you’ve been following me on Instagram, you may have noticed that I've posted some pictures of my weekly Veggie Egg Bake (which I make every Sunday night to enjoy Monday thru Friday).
A lot of these kinds of egg recipes I see floating around the internet are super skimpy when it comes to veggies...we're talkin' 75% eggs, 25% veggies.
We can do better than that! Most of us don't eat enough veggies and this is such an easy way to get a whole lot of 'em in all at once.
In my recipe, I make veggies the star of the show. The eggs are simply there to hold them all together.
Today I’m going to share with you my latest Veggie Egg Bake which was practically overflowing with veggies!
I've also included step-by-step photo instructions down at the bottom.
The Ultimate Veggie Egg Bake
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, chopped (I used a sweet onion - those won't make you tear up!)
- 2 cups zucchini, chopped (approximately 3-4 small zucchini)
- 1.5 cups sweet potato, chopped (approximately 1 sweet potato)
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (if using grape or cherry tomatoes, cut them in half)
- 1 handful leafy greens (e.g. spinach, kale, chard, or a combination)
- 1/2 cup sliced olives (optional)
- 7-8 eggs
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat a large skillet* or pot over medium-high heat and add the coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Add zucchini, sweet potato, and tomatoes. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Stir occasionally. I like to cover the pan so the veggies steam and cook faster.
- While the veggies are cooking, crack open 7-8 eggs into a medium sized bowl and whisk (start with 7 eggs...if the egg-veggie ratio is off once you've added the eggs in step 7, add 1 more egg)
- Once the veggies are done, add leafy greens at the end and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Transfer veggies into a greased oven-safe dish (e.g. casserole dish or other baking pan) and add the olives, salt, and pepper
- Add the eggs and gently mix all the ingredients with a spoon until well-combined (if you want/need to add 1 more egg, do so now)
- Put pan into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through
- Serve immediately (this will feed up to 6 people at once!) or let cool and store in a covered container in the fridge to enjoy all week.
* If you have an oven-safe pan that you can use both on the stove and in the oven, you can use that. I don't have one so I cooked the veggies on the stove in one pan and transferred it into an oven-safe pan for baking
- If you don't have the same veggies on hand, no worries! Simply swap them out (or leave them out), just use a total of 4-5 cups of uncooked veggies if you want to make this jam-packed with veggies. (Other ideas: Asparagus, broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, butternut squash, potatoes)
- For a more portable meal, make them into muffins!
STEP-BY-STEP PHOTO INSTRUCTIONS BELOW:
I hope you love it as much as I do!