Let's get this party started!
I woke up this morning really excited about starting my juice cleanse! (Miss my last entry? Click Here for more info on why I wanted to do this and which cleanse I decided to use)
My day looked a little something like this:
6:30am: Woke up
7:15am: 60 minute hot yoga class (felt awesome afterward)
After yoga, I picked up my juice which was conveniently waiting for me across the street from my yoga studio (Ritual Cleanse also delivers, but I preferred the pick-up option). I was so giddy! I couldn't wait to have it in my hands.
All three days worth of juices were in this awesome insulated bag:
Not gonna lie. I'm pretty excited to keep the insulated bag and ice packs after this is over :) They always come in handy!
Let the juice cleanse begin!
9:00am: Hot water with the juice of 1 lemon + dash of cayenne pepper
Started feeling a little nauseous on my drive to work. I attribute it to one of two things:
- I bought a pair of boots yesterday. I love them but they smell really bad...like a toxic smell. I don't know if it's a result of eating a fairly clean diet the last couple of years or having a sensitive nose (or both), but I tend to feel light-headed or nauseous when confronted with smells that aren't "natural". Like "new car smell". Not a fan.
- Maybe a smidgen of anxiety? This is my last week at my corporate job! Lots to do in a short period of time. I’m very excited to embark on the next chapter in my life, but am understandably feeling very emotional and overwhelmed with what I need to do before I leave.
10:00am: JUICE #1 (Spinach, Romaine, Kale, Celery, Cucumber, Green Apple, Lemon)
- Delicious! Tastes similar to the green juices and smoothies I make at home. Because I was feeling nauseous, I drank it VERY slowly. It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to finish it! The lemon taste is quite prominent, so it cuts through the bitterness of the greens. I can see how it could be an acquired taste for people who’ve never had a green drink before. I imagine that by Day 3, the drink won’t taste as green to people who might have been turned off by it in the beginning.
12:10pm:JUICE #2 (Spinach, Romaine, Kale, Celery, Cucumber, Green Apple)
- STARVING. Slight headache. Could be a bit dehydrated from hot yoga this morning perhaps? It took me 1 hour 15 min to drink Juice #2...not because I was nauseous or didn't like the taste. For some reason, I didn't have any desire to chug it which is what I sometimes do with the juices I make for myself at home. I really enjoyed savoring it. I suppose you could call it "Mindful Drinking" :)
2:10pm:JUICE #3 (Spinach, Romaine, Kale, Celery, Cucumber, Green Apple, Ginger)
- STARVING. I really loved the addition of ginger in this one. Been hungry all day with a slight headache, but nothing awful. Took me 40 minutes to drink this one...I think the hunger is really starting to get to me. I didn't have any desire to eat a meal...I just didn't like the empty feeling inside of my stomach. Still tired and headachey. Embracing this entire process though! I'm committed to sticking to it 100% without consuming anything other than what is in those juice bottles.
4:20pm:JUICE #4 (Alkaline Water, Lemon, Raw Agave, Cayenne)
- STARVING. This one is spicy! Man oh man! I love it though. I never used to like spicy foods, but my tastes have changed over the last few years. I usually add cayenne pepper to my smoothies and salads so the spiciness didn't bother me, rather it was just a pleasant surprise from the milder green drinks. I wouldn’t have minded another green juice, but it was nice to change it up. Took me an hour to finish this juice. Interestingly, I felt more energized and not as hungry afterward.
6:35pm:JUICE #5 (Spinach, Romaine, Kale, Celery, Cucumber, Green Apple)
- STARVING. Finished this one in 30 minutes.
8:00pm:JUICE #6 (Alkaline Water, Raw Cashews, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Raw Agave)
- STARVING. This one hit the spot! I gulped it down a bit too fast though...took me only 20 minutes to finish. I was pretty hungry :) This drink caught me off guard at first because I was expecting more of a juice-like consistency, but what I got were bits and pieces of cashew. I guess they didn't strain it. I happened to make cashew milk last week, so this taste was familiar to me but this version was a bit sweeter than I'm used to. This was a great drink to finish the day with. I felt energized (not in a "I'm going to be up all night" way, but rather in a "I don't feel weak and fatigued" way), I felt satisfied, and I felt confident that I could sleep through the night without feeling hungry. That said, bedtime is quickly approaching...
DAY 1 Notes & Observations:
- I drank about 2 cups of hot water between each juice
- Despite not drinking all that much water today, I found myself going to the bathroom frequently (#1...too much info?). I'm assuming it's because all of the green juices contain foods that have very high water content.
- During the week, I typically eat 3 meals per day, with a snack in between lunch and dinner. This "eating every two hours" schedule is not something I'm used to. I used to eat that way several years ago, but have preferred my current schedule and not having to think about food all the time. I found it distracting to feel hungry all day today since I am so used to feeling satisfied for 3-4 hours after each meal.
- I think this would be more difficult if I did it over the weekend. Drinking the juices at work while I'm sitting at a desk all day was not only easier to follow (especially the drinking every two hours part) but also made the day go by faster.
- All in all, I'm pleased with how Day 1 went! Ready for Day 2...