Never in a million years would anyone guess that these delicious brownies contain black beans. You'll know what I mean when you make them :)
Make these for your next potluck or serve them for dessert at your next dinner party. Not only will your guests love them, but they won't believe you when you tell them what the secret ingredient is!
Just to give you a heads up, these brownies are a bit denser than more traditional brownies. They aren't dry though and have a consistency that almost resembles fudge. One little square is all you need and no, you won't feel disgusting after.
Did I mention they're gluten-free AND dairy-free? Hooray!
These are quick and easy to make. All you need is 45 minutes (or less) which includes prep and clean-up.
Flourless Chocolate Black Bean Brownies
Yields: 25 brownies (cut in 1.5 to 2-inch squares)
- 1 can black beans (15-ounce can, preferably no salt added), rinsed and drained
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a square 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray or grease with coconut oil
- Place the black beans, eggs, coconut oil, cocoa powder, sea salt, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar in a food processor fitted with the S-blade
- Blend until smooth
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes (it took 28 minutes in my oven). Insert a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean, you know they're ready. You'll notice the top will look hard and the edges of the brownie will separate a bit from the sides of the pan
- Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares
- Store in the fridge
- After Step #4, stir in walnuts and/or chocolate chips (I like these Enjoy Life semi-sweet mini chocolate chips...they're dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free!)
- Eat as is, warm or cool!
- Serve alongside or crumble into homemade dairy-free ice cream (try the original flavor, 2 Ingredient Chocolate Soft Serve, or Dairy-Free Almond Butter Ice Cream)
- Top with "Better than JELL-O" Chocolate Pudding as the "frosting"
- Spread some almond butter or your favorite nut/seed butter on it
- Instead of cutting it into squares, keep it intact and serve as a "cake" instead!